Saturday, March 1, 2014

Communication Board

I finally made my communication board and went to Chili's to use it. I put on a timer before I went in so I could make sure I did sixty minutes. My boyfriend was not used of me talking, he had a  hard time adjusting. When I pointed to something on my board he wouldn't talk back.  He would shake his hand or head. I warned him before we went out but he didn't realize, how hard it would be.


I used the board to try to talk to him, but I felt like it was not real. I did the best I could of done. Now all I have to do is my reflection and script. It felt good to be done with my adventure of no talking. We take for granted we will always have a voice. But having no voice is no fun.



2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a little nervous for this project. My roommate is trying to convince me to take it out to a bar...I'm shy and she thinks it will be a conversation starter, haha. But it's so hard to anticipate what kinds of things I'll have to say. If you are trying to have an actual good conversation with someone, I imagine it's really difficult to rely on the communication board. So I definitely understand you and your boyfriend's frustration! We'll see how I do with it I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, it was definitely difficult to not talk for an hour and I could not have anticipated how my fiance or people around me would have acted. It makes you really think about when we stop and may take a longer glance at someone who is using a communication board and how it makes them feel. I would call this an eye opening experience for sure!

    ReplyDelete